This breakfast salad is one part left-overs, one part citrusy-goodness, and one part flawless sunny side up egg. Take last night’s roasted sweet potatoes and create something new in the morning by combining with organic baby spinach, and zesty orange-balsamic vinaigrette, and a surprise twist: granny smith apples.
These flavors sing together. Put an egg on it, and you’ve got all the protein (and brain-boosting choline) and beta-carotene rich veggie power you’ll need to get your day started on the right foot.
MIND diet foods: Leafy greens, other vegetables, olive oil
- 1 large organic sweet potato, 10-12" (mine was 1 lb 4 oz)
- ½ large red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup (approx) olive oil, divided into 1 tbsp, 4 tbsp, 1-2 tsp
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 orange, zest and juice (2 tbsp orange juice, 1 tsp orange zest. You may have extra)
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 green apple
- 5 oz pre-washed organic baby spinach (about 6-8 cups loosely packed)
- 4 eggs
- 8 sprigs Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 450.
- While the oven is preheating, wash and dry all produce, and prep the hash.
- Remove any eyes from the sweet potato leaving as much skin intact as possible.
- Dice the sweet potato (makes about 4 cups) and red onion (makes about 1 cup), then combine in a large bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper.
- On a large baking sheet, arrange in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes, turning about halfway through.
- While the potatoes roast, make the dressing. Whisk together 4 tbsp olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice green apple into thin slices or cubes (makes about 1 cup) and toss with a little bit of orange juice to keep from browning.
- In a large bowl, combine baby spinach, parsley, and dressing to coat.
- Fold in the apples.
- Heat 1-2 tsp olive oil in a pan on low heat.
- Divide dressed salad in 4 bowls.
- Slowly crack eggs into the frying pan to reduce egg white spreading and heat over low heat until whites become opaque (3-4 minutes). Season with salt to taste.
- Divide hash on top of the 4 salads, and top each with an egg.
- Garnish with any extra parsley or orange zest, if desired